Monday, August 15, 2005

Rodin & Rant

The passport office was ideally situated to be missed and the Government of Canada sign was hidden behind much foliage. Nonetheless, it was found and after an hour wait, I finally submitted my application.
Realizing we weren't in Surrey everyday and were already halfway to Vancouver, my mother and I decided to see Rodin's art at the Vancouver Art Gallery. The passport office is right by the Gateway Skytrain station, so we took that into the heart of the city. There, I proceeded to lead my mother astray by walking away from Hornby St. Ha ha ha.

Rodin was a bit of a disappointment. We saw The Kiss, The Thinker, and some other noteworthy sculptures but I believe it was the gallery setting itself that detracted from the pleasure of it. There was so much just stuffed into these few rooms that I found my appreciation of this beautiful and amazing art, much depleted.
Upstairs, my mother and I visited the modern art galleries. WOW. It was fantastic! I had a much more pleasurable experience. It was simple but big and very colourful. Franz West was a tad boring but Wang Du Parade was great. His stuff was poignant, BIG, and colourful and very very entertaining. If you get the chance, and don't mind paying the $15 admission charge, definitely check this guy out. (Enter! is the one pictured above)

And finally, we come to section of this blog that I've reserved for ranting. There is no type of girl that gets more on my nerves than the Male-Haters. These girls are easily recognizable as the ones with the heinous and incredibly ugly skin-tight shirts that read, "Boys Suck". These words are of course embellished with butterflies, sparkles, and sequins and are emblazoned across the bust. Ladies, ladies, ladies. Men are our counterparts! We would not be here without them. They make up half the world and insulting them by wearing such a t-shirt is ridiculous. Boys do not suck. If boys suck so much, why don't they wear shirts that say "Girls Suck"? On the Skytrain home today, I saw a t-shirt that made my stomach turn, "Guys make GREAT accessories". Excuse me? Lowering guys to the level of something you'd buy at Ardene's or Claire's, is inhumane. I won't go so far as to compare this to say the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, but it is along the same lines. Once you begin to see the male sex as objects, rather than human beings that God created in love, you fail to treat them as human beings. Even if it is a joke, it's a poor one that I do not laugh at.

Enough of the rant. I think I got my point across.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristall said...

For what?

8:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home