Sunday, November 27, 2005

Christmas stuff

It's the first Sunday of Advent. When I was younger, my family would gather around the advent wreath and light a candle, read scripture, and sing some carols. My dad was there because my mom wanted him there, my brothers were there for the fire (both pyromaniacs), and I was there because I love traditions. Now, my father has to be dragged there to sit through it, my brother grumbles the entire time, and my mother and I smile and pretend our family is full of love.

There are times I think my parents are going to get divorced. It used to frighten me as a child, but now, I just worry.

Today, my mother and I set up the tree. I love doing this. I drag the 40 pound artifical Christmas tree box up two flights of stairs, set it up with my ass in the air and my face pressed against the vent in the floor and my fingers frantically trying not to get squished as the heavy top piece slides into the metal tubing. It's my favourite part. We listen to Boney M when we do it too.

Then my mom will put on the lights (because I can't do it and stay symmetrical) and then the beaded garlands. I liked to play with them when I was younger. I'd wrap them around me, make crowns, necklaces, and...nooses. Afterward we had to force my brothers to put their ornaments on the tree (grumbling the entire time) and then mom and I would happily put ours on, pretending the entire time that what my brothers just did didn't hurt us a little. Then comes the tinsle...which I love. It's silver and stringy and a bitch to clean up.

I took an entire roll of photos this year. The lights were just amazing...shining off my mom's glasses and off the sparkly ornaments. I can't wait to get them developed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home